PFC has been providing background screening services to Nanny Agencies, Eldercare Agencies, and Domestic Staffing Agencies since 1987, and is the oldest household background screening company in the U.S. PFC combines an old-fashioned concern for quality with cutting edge technology to provide comprehensive and accurate background checks. PFC has been a member of the International Nanny Agency (INA) since 1987 and the Association of Premier Nanny Agencies (APNA) since 2003. PFC offers significant discounts to APNA and INA agencies. We provide a special “home state” discount for member agencies. There are no “add-ons” to our rates, such as court or DMV fees; therefore, our clients know in advance exactly how much a background check will cost. For a quote, contact us at 510.336.9761 or email@example.com.
PFC’s credentials in the background screening industry are impeccable. We are a founding member of the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS), a charter member of the Public Records Retrievers Network (PRRN), and a member of the Association of Independent Information Professionals (AIIP), the California Association of Licensed Investigators (CALI), and Concerned CRAs (CCRA).
The PFC Difference
How PFC Is Uniquely Suited To Provide Nanny, Eldercare, And Household Background Checks
- PFC’s roots in the nanny industry are deep. In the 1980’s PFC’s owners ran a successful nanny agency called Prairie Home Companions Agency, Inc, and is, therefore, uniquely attuned to the difficulties that agency owners deal with on a daily basis.
- PFC is in full compliance with INA’s Recommended Practices for Background Screening and APNA’s Standards of Practice concerning background checks. For example, PFC does not utilize vendors that offshore background checks to India, the Philippines, or other countries. Offshoring places candidates at risk for identity theft.
- Information quality is what sets PFC apart from many pre-employment background screening companies. We have our own network of professional court researchers that we dispatch to courthouses throughout the U.S. In addition, we subscribe directly to many state databases, and we also utilize premium commercial databases for our background checks.
- The background checks generated by many of the large online firms are essentially untouched by human hands. Much of the data is gathered robotically via web-scraping technology. Once the client enters the data, there is no quality review or analysis to determine whether the information identified is valid. Consequently, there are frequently false positives and false negatives. At PFC, we are involved in each step in the process, from data entry to analysis to report preparation. In April 2012, the National Consumer Law Center (NCLC) published a scathing criticism of the level of inaccuracies and lack of accountability of the background screening industry. According to the report:
With the explosive growth of this industry, it is essential that the “Wild West” of employment screening be reined in so that consumers are not guilty until proven innocent. Currently, lack of accountability and incentives to cut corners to save money mean that consumers pay for inaccurate information with their jobs and, thus, their families’ livelihood.
Not only do applicants pay, agencies pay because erroneous information can derail a good placement.The report can be found here.
- Our clients are able to call us and speak to a knowledgeable staff member whenever there is a question about a background check. We proactively contact our clients if we happen to have a question regarding a request that they have submitted. In addition, if we are advised by one of our court runners that there is a possible criminal record on a candidate, we immediately call the agency to give them advance notification.
- Our reports clearly define what was checked, where the records were searched, over what period of time, and the results are described in plain English.
Please contact PFC for information regarding our rates, services, and how to request background checks. Discounted rates are available to APNA and INA member agencies.
The types of checks included in a background profile vary in accordance with the type of position that the applicant is applying for, as well as the employer’s budget. The following is a description of
PFC’s pre-employment services for agencies:
- Reference Validation: PFC can evaluate the legitimacy of a reference or locate a reference listed on the candidate’s application. This type of service can be of value when the candidate provides an incorrect phone contact for a reference, or when the reference doesn’t seem credible.
- Background Checks on Candidate’s Spouse, Significant Other, or Relatives: There are times when a client wants a more complete picture of the candidate, which might extend to the candidate’s family or significant other. PFC can provide that deeper look if the client requests it.
- Vetting Clients: PFC can provide background information on new or prospective clients when “something just doesn’t seem right.” PFC can verify that your clients are who they say they are.
Legal Issues for Pre-employment Background Checks
Regardless of the type of search being conducted, the Fair Credit Reporting Act imposes limitations on the information that can be included in a background check and the types of disclosures that must be made to applicants and employees. FCRA is applicable regardless of whether or not a credit report is included in the background check. In addition, state laws impose their own restrictions on employment and pre-employment background checks. PFC’s background checks are compliant with FCRA and all applicable state laws. For information regarding some of the relevant laws please click here.